Friday, October 29, 2010

Jealous of the Commute (Really?!?)

Traditionally some of my girlfriends (the chix) go to the Zoo Lights in December.  I've been the least consistent member, I think, even though my best friend organizes it.  Not really sure what that's about, but maybe something to think about later.

At any rate, she sent the email today asking what day we'd all like to go.  And in the zoo announcement about the lights was a link to a blog on riding your bike to work for a year.  That's quite a commitment.  I used to live about 4 miles from my work for about a year.  I can probably count the number of times I rode my bike to work on both hands without reusing any of the fingers.  Which is odd because I really love to ride my bike -- actually, living at that apartment was when I rediscovered riding my bike and bought a "serious" bike with my tax return.

I think it's really cool that the zoo is challenging its employees to have a lower carbon footprint right here, right now!  It's a way many of us could contribute to a better planet by acting locally.

The blog is OK -- a little sparse (only monthly updates).  But I think it might be hard to write a blog that your work links to and share too much "genuinely" -- I would always have that filter in place.

I am impressed by her ability to get to volleyball in various cities after work -- and by the amount of difference it's making (1 tank of gas in 3 weeks, a family vacation where they used only public transportation, etc.).

But I am also confused by using people who drive to work to help you out.  Sure carpools are better, but if you don't use them consistently then some days the driver rides alone...and it sounds like if you have a kid then someone has to drive to work to have the flexibility to deal with unforeseen issues.  Which vaguely reminds me of my work friend in the early 90s who announced that "since I'm pregnant I need a cell phone."  I mean babies have been born for ... probably millennia ... without the aid of cell phones.  And kids have had to wait for parents in the past.  Not that I would be any different in either situation.  At any rate.

Maybe I'm just jealous because I don't get to ride my bike to work (I work at home).  I wish I had a commute so I could squeeze in a little exercise twice a day in already "wasted" time.  Yeah, it's probably that...

Can't wait to hear how she does in the winter -- or if that means she mostly takes the bus.  (BTW - her command of the bus system is impressive.  When I took the bus I basically only knew my one route and didn't ever try to get too fancy if a bus was crowded.)

No comments:

Post a Comment