Sunday, September 22, 2013

Why I am Not a Food Blogger

My mom gave me subscriptions to Better Homes & Gardens as well as Southern Living last Christmas. Surprisingly I actually read a fair amount of these magazines (usually I just look at the pretty pictures). I have a Pinterest account with my own personal board of re-pinned recipes from other pinners. I am also a member of a board where the owner posts fabulous-looking food and treats. Really she's only posted 1 or 2 things that I didn't immediately want to try.

Sometime this summer I got the harebrained idea that I would cook dinner once a week with a recipe I had found somewhere. I mean, why pin all those things if I'm not going to use it? So I started reading the recipes everywhere and picking favorites. And adding to Iggy's shopping list. (Iggy does all our cooking. On my nights we order out.)

My first attempt was a flatbread pizza with brie as the cheese and some salad greens and dressing on top. It was almost ok. Undeterred, I tried green bean, apple and bacon sandwiches. I guess because the green beans are unusual they list them first in the title...but they also have bacon. The bacon is the most important ingredient (although I guess the green beans make them sound healthy). They've actually made into the "repeat" category - I have made them twice!

But then, for some reason, that was the end of my dinner contributions. (Stop while you're ahead?)

Fortunately I had another brilliant idea. We have family coming for the holidays in December. I could try out several recipes now and pick a few to make for them. But this time I'd rather bake. I actually like baking but have never gotten into cooking. So maybe this was a better fit. Plus I decided that I would do my baking while Iggy was watching football on Sundays. Then we're practically in the same room and it's just about like quality time, right?

So I spent a couple evenings scouring magazines and Pinterest again. I narrowed my list down to 11 things. So I decided to let Iggy pick the first one. He chose dark chocolate raspberry banana bread. Or maybe the 2 really brown bananas in our fruit bowl chose that for us. Either way, you should really, really try that one. We ate it all.

The next weekend I was more ambitious because the banana bread didn't really take as long as the football did. I picked 3 recipes. Here's how that went:

1. Pondered what order do things in for so long that the 1st quarter ends and all you have is a pile of ingredients on the counter.
2. Make the batter for Corona Cupcakes.
3. When those are in the oven, wash everything you used.
4. Start Cream Cheese Pumpkin Spice Bread.
5. Take cupcakes out of oven. Put bread in.
6. Wash everything again.
7. Make frosting for cupcakes but decide you don't feel like measuring anything anymore.
8. Frosting turns out runny. Be sad for a little bit, but then eat some. It's still pretty good.
9. Have the brilliant idea to put wax paper below the cupcakes then frost cupcakes as much as possible.
10. Football ends. You're not done yet.
11. Share leftover icing with dog.
12. Take bread out of oven.
13. Wash everything again again.
14. Realize sharing frosting with the dog was not brilliant.
15. Walk dog so that some of that sugar high is used up without destroying additional household items.

Anyways. I can't get the hang of cooking. My timing at baking is questionable. And I never remember to take pictures. I just eat the stuff. So, much as I like reading blogs about food and looking at pictures of food and eating, I don't think I will ever be a food blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment