Sunday, August 30, 2009

Frosting Deprivation – then Backlash!

This summer I went to a birthday party for a person that doesn't like cake. This is a completely foreign concept to me, by the way. At the time I was sorta happy to not have the calories. But over the next couple weeks I kept thinking about frosting – which is the real reason I like cake. You can't just have frosting, coincidentally, you have to have cake to anchor the frosting – and it allows you to pleasurably consume more frosting if you have cake than if you were just eating frosting out of the jar. Not that I've done that – oh no, never, never. Ok, maybe once or twice. Or that I've conducted a scientific study. But I am pretty sure I'm right about this frosting stuff. I have a lot of experience.

At any rate, I went to a lunch at P.F. Chang's with some girlfriends. They have those mini-desserts. After lunch, I ordered first and I asked for two: the velvet cake and the chocolate one. You should've seen the look on the face of the girl across from me. "I didn't know you could order more than one!"
she blurted. I giggled, but honestly, I don't think mine is a revolutionary idea…no one likes to be limited, do they? Both the desserts I ordered have plenty of icing.

About a week later I found myself dog sitting for some friends. I went to the store to buy myself some snacks and found myself in front of a single-sized serving of carrot cake. Coincidence? Probably not. Here's the cake before I consumed it – look at that frosting-to-fork ratio!

I was surprised that I couldn't eat the whole thing in one sitting – and not even in a single day. I would normally say that's a sign of maturity and growing up…but I really don't think a mature person would still eat so much of the cake that they feel icky. Granted I felt slightly better after complaining on FaceBook that I ate too much frosting. But it didn't stop me from finishing the cake the next day (and getting a minor sugar rush/wooziness all over again). 

I must conclude from this experience that I should've had cake the day of the birthday party because I had thought about it so much that my body needed it.  In the end that would've saved me a lot of calories.

The moral of the story is: even if you don't like cake, people expect birthday cake at a birthday party. (So please have mercy on us and have cake anyways!)

2 comments:

  1. You make me laugh, I will always make sure I have cake in the future !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take that into consideration although I have trained all the people around me to never expect chocolate or cake at my house since I don't like either one. Consider yourself warned.

    ReplyDelete