Thursday, April 29, 2010

Kicker dancing is finer than frog's hair!

Found this is a magazine today -- although I don't know why the web version of the article doesn't have this part (unless it's a link...I didn't follow the links).

Texas-isms:
  • Y'all: You all. "All y'all" is even more y'alls
  • All git out: Exceedingly
  • Dag nab it: Exclamation in lieu of honking the horn
  • Fixin' to: Planning to
  • Fair to middlin': Just okay
  • Hissy fit: Temper tantrum
  • Conniptions: A huge hissy fit
  • Scooch over: Move over a bit. [I always thought this was spelled "skootch" -- glad to get that straightened out!]
  • Coke: Any carbonated beverage:
Patron: I'd like a Coke.


Waiter: What kind of Coke would you like?


Patron: I'll have a Dr. Pepper.
  • Kicker dancing: Boogying to country music
  • Finer than frog's hair: Superlative for pretty, etc. A possible pick-up line.
I had a neighbor at my old condo's that responded with "fair to middlin'" every time I asked him how he was. I mostly saw him at the garages. He was an elderly gentleman (apparently with Texas roots).

My folks live in the Texas now and my dad used to teach an ESL (English as a 2nd language) class for a while. He has a funny story about a shy, quiet Korean woman pulling him aside after class one day to ask him what "fixin' to" meant. She thought it was a naughty word -- but was confused because all these super-polite and mostly helpful people kept saying it to her right in the middle of conversations.

I challenge you to write a me a short paragraph using all these words! I'm working on my own mini-story too...

1 comment: