Monday, March 23, 2009

Is it time?

I work from home and my cat, Ariel, sits on my lap most of the day. Friday she would not leave the spot on her chin alone - kept incessantly scratching it. She had a cancerous lump removed from there when she was about 14 or 15. At that time the vet told me to take her to chemo. I balked - I have no idea what 14 "cat years" are equivalent to in human years - but I wasn't sure she'd survive cancer treatment. And how happy could she possibly be? Besides being sick and getting hairballs from her fur as it falls out, she hates car rides and it would've been weekly car rides for a couple months. Ariel will be 19 sometime this summer (in retrospect, I probably should've done the treatment) ... and that lump is back again. I'm also noticing that she's getting sorta skinny despite the premium food and canned chicken.

Ariel's had a pretty good run, I suppose. She's an excellent mouser - even without claws - and has left me "treats" by the front door in every place we've lived. She used to go on walks with me and the dogs (although she would want to be carried back instead of walking back). She purrs so loud that sometimes on conference calls people ask me what the background noise/feedback is on my phone. She's mostly deaf now, so she scares the bejeebers out of me once in a while - she meows loud enough to hear herself and in the middle of the night it's somewhat unexpected.

My ex called this weekend to see if I could dogsit one of the dogs that we used to "own" together. I declined because Ariel is totally over dogs ;-) and I told him I couldn't make up my mind what to do about "the final visit". It was an interesting conversation because he we were dating when I got her outside the local grocery store and because he lived with Ariel as well for 13 of the years we were living together/married. It was sorta nice to talk through it with someone that knows Ariel...and someone that I've had to make this decision with before.

At any rate, Ariel seems to be doing better today - she tried to eat the flowers on my desk and she was grumpy when I snoozed the alarm because it meant a delay in the presentation of her breakfast. But I still wish she could speak English so I could figure out if she's uncomfortable.

My favorite Ariel picture - her showing the new puppy who is the boss. She's probably 2ish here.

3 comments:

  1. That's a very difficult decision ... its never easy to make, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I know exactly what you're going through Tamma. A couple years ago, both of my 18 year old cats passed away within a couple months of each other. I had friends that told me, "you'll just know." I didn't really believe that until it happened. I found my guy Russki (Russian spy) in my closet - he was skinny and weak, had been for a few weeks, and I picked him up and when I looked into his eyes, I could tell he was in pain and wanted to say goodbye. I had the vet come to my house instead of go there and that made things easier. My second guy Xerox (copy cat) was lost without his buddy and his health went downhill fast. He wasn't in any pain but just stopped eating and then went in his sleep peacefully. Somehow, I knew that, for Xerox, it would be his choice and not mine, and we were both fine with that.

    Hopefully, Ariel will speak to you soon and let you know, but either way, you are a great pet mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments - they definitely helped. Ariel's had a good week since last Friday...so I'm hoping this continues. I just think it would suck for my pet sitter to leave that decision in her hands while I'm off having adventures in NZ.

    ReplyDelete